<VV> The Marvelous Corvair

Mark Corbin airvair at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 7 21:58:00 EDT 2007

At the convention Jim Musser gave an interesting talk. Jim worked for GM at
the time the Corvair was built. What I found interesting was that he
confirmed a suspicion that I've had for years. That was that the management
wanted to put the Corvair name on the '67 ponycar, but that Ralphie's book
made that impossible. So in reality, what was named the Camaro was REALLY
supposed to be the third generation Corvair.

That makes me want to go buy a '67 Camaro, and replace all the "Camaro"
nameplates with Corvair nameplates. Then take it to a Camaro meet, and say
that it's a prototype that escaped from GM tech center. Wouldn't that be a
hoot?!

Another thought is to find a '67 Camaro that's lost its floorboards, and
then cut the entire body off it. Then mount it to a Corvair floorpan and
drivetrain. Viola! A rear-engine "Camaro"!! ;o)

-Mark