<VV> Convention results

Bruce Schug bwschug at charter.net
Fri Aug 10 13:03:43 EDT 2007

On Aug 10, 2007, at 11:32 AM, Brian wrote:

> Yes, there are 'rules" but if you read them there is very little about
> the things i mentioned.  I call upon you and the other Board members
> to carefully consider revising them.

I think I disagree with most of the criticism I've seen posted here
about the Economy Run Rules.

I participated in the last revision of the rules. Many of my
suggestions were adapted, but not all. I was aware of the problems with
slow-moving vehicles. That's why I suggested minimum elapsed times and
a check point along the route (the check point allows you to monitor
how you're doing against the time limit). Tires do need to be DOT
approved, etc. Obviously, anyone should have their tires inflated to
safe pressures, no matter what event they're participating in. I don't
think you can or need to police how a participant tunes his vehicle.
The problem isn't in tuning or vehicle set-up, it's in course design.

Economy Runs, like Rallies, need to be held on back-roads away from
masses of traffic. A realistic time limit needs to be set and adhered
to. I remember the first Economy Run conducted under the new rules,
which might have been Daytona. Several cars were disqualified for
taking too much time, i.e., driving too slow.I thought it was great!

In case you wondered, the rule change I proposed that didn't get
adapted that disappointed me the most was the class structure. Vehicles
are classified by early-model and late-model, as well as transmission
and engine-type. However, the most important factor in fuel mileage is
vehicle weight, not body-style (early/late). I had proposed a structure
that split all Corvairs by weight, taking into account body style and
whether or not they were air-conditioned, the major modifier to
body-style that affects weight. Therefore one division would have
lighter vehicles (most earlies, except for converts, late coupes) and
another heavier vehicles (all convertibles, AC cars, sedans, etc.) I
don't remember the exact structure but this is close. I thought it was
quite fair and better than the early/late structure.

I was told that CORSA members wouldn't be interested in such a
structure, they just see it as an early vs late situation. So, if
you're competing in the Economy Run (and maybe the Cole Award) with an
air-conditioned late convertible, against all those stripped-down late
coupes, good luck!

I had a similar disappointment with the Rally Rules. I tried to write a
set of rules that would define a real national-championship class rally
and result in a true national-championship class winner. Such a rally
would be a TSD rally, which is a true rally that measures real rally
skills, not luck or knowledge of local landmarks or the ability to
solve riddles, puzzles, etc., as found in gimmick rallies. Again, I was
told that convention participants aren't really interested in such a
rally (a real rally), most of them simply want to tour the countryside
and see the scenery.

It's this kind of thinking that seems to permeate CORSA that makes me
care less and less about such things as conventions and "national"
competitions. The one thing we all have in common is that we like
Corvairs. Besides that, I feel I have less and less in common to many
CORSA members or at least those who tell me what they think most CORSA
members want.

Bruce

Bruce W. Schug
President, CORSA South Carolina