<VV> Econo runs

Clark Hartzel chartzel at comcast.net
Fri Aug 10 13:59:40 EDT 2007

I was the checkpoint on the CORSA econo run.  Someone suggested a "no
turning off ignitions" rule.  Boy that would tick off all the competitors as
everyone who came to my checkpoint turned off their ignition while they
waited for me to record their car number and mileage.  At one point I had
about 8 cars all sitting there waiting to be checked in.  Why should the 8th
guy have to sit there idling during the wait?  If we all turned off our
ignitions at traffic lights we would save thousands of gallons of gas.  The
new GM hybrid vehicles will do the same thing and then cut out half the
engine cylinders during normal cruising.  As far as tire pressures go, I'm
not aware of anyone having a problem blowing out their tires from excessive
pressure.  Take look at some cars running on the freeway with half-flat
tires!  They are more of a danger than excessive pressure!  If you tech
inspect the cars at the finish for tire pressure, what's to keep a
competitor from pulling off the route just before the finish and letting the
pressure down to normal limits and then finishing the run?  We have a
limited
number of volunteers to run conventions now.  Let's keep things as simple as
possible folks!
Clark (I worked at every event) Hartzel