<VV> RE: VV> Fan/ Cooling idea from a newbie....

Dan & Synde dsjkling at sbcglobal.net
Fri Aug 10 14:36:51 EDT 2007

Hi Jeff,

I've been watching this whole fan debate from a distance so this is my first
time wading into the murky waters.  I feel the factory system from 61' on
works fine for it's original intentions which were not only functional
requirements but costs to manufacturer.  When pushed to it's limit like in
racing, 140 or turbo in a high payload vehicle etc, it can be improved upon.
I run full shrouds including lower shrouds, thermostats and a mag fan on our
van.  Seldom does the temperature exceed 400 and when it approaches that,
typically I've got it floored on a 100 degree day and need to down shift on
a hill anyway to stay in a good torque range.  With the stock fan were
talking maybe 15 HP max, most of the time less.  Think of how much weight
would have to be added to go electric or even scoops and thermostatic fan,
not to mention added complexity.  GM's idea was functional simplicity and
cost.  Adjusted right, the stock fan belt setup works for most of us too.
Heck, the stock style fan setup is what all of the Ultra Van owners are
using and their engines are at max output most of the time.  Now some have
the earlier steel fan but many are running the mag fan.

I don't know, it just seems like alot of effort expend to fix something that
ain't broken.  But, I digress....I've been known to do the same thing from
time to time :)

Dan Kling

1961 Greenbrier Deluxe, 4spd, 3.89  On the Road Again,  yeehaw :)
1963 Spyder, restored   4spd Saginaw
1967 Ultravan #299  Newest of the herd!! Almost killed me already!!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/81412237@N00/sets/
A few pictures of the Greenbrier, UltraVan, engine and tranny tear down with
more to come!