<VV> Econo rules

aeroned at aol.com aeroned at aol.com
Fri Aug 10 14:51:46 EDT 2007

With the very valid concerns brought up by Brian O'Neil on VV regarding the EconoRun, I reviewed the rules. Since I'm not really that interested in this type of event, I had never read the rules before. I did learn some interesting things about the current rules that might address some of Brian's concerns without even changing the rules. You can download the rules from the CORSA web site, if you'd like to read them.

The rules require a time limit for the econorun. This is mentioned several times in the rules. Section 3.6 states that the event elapsed time "shall be consistent with all speed limits, and provide sufficient contingency time for unexpected traffic conditions, known road construction conditions, and any planned rest stops or breaks." Section 3.22 has recommendations for the time limit of the event. It suggests an additional 15% to complete the event. That means, to me,?for a 60 mile event the time limit should not be 2 or 3 hours. Perhaps this suggestion can be changed to a requirement.

Additionally, Section 2.13 states that "unsafe driving...shall result in disqualification." Section 3.5 recommends that rush hour, congested areas and interstates should be avoided.

So my recommendations would be:
1) Require that Interstate?and other high speed divided highways be avoided.
2) Enforce Section 3.6 that states the event elapsed time "shall be consistent with all speed limits, and provide sufficient contingency time for unexpected traffic conditions, known road construction conditions, and any planned rest stops or breaks." And that the event elapsed time not be greater than 115% of the nominal pre-event test run time. This also requires that there be a pre-event test run that is run at normal speeds.
3) Require a safety inspection to verify the cars are safe to participate. Checking tire type?and pressure could be part of this inspection. This inspection could be accomplished before and after the event.

I believe the true purpose of the econorun is to show the "normal" efficiency of the Corvair due to engine condition and tune as well as basic driver ability and skill. I invite everyone else with an opinion on this matter to offer suggestions or reasons to not change the rules or format of the econorun to chime in (as if you need my permission). I would like to hear what everyone has to say. I will insure that the other BOD members hear your concerns.

Ned