<VV> Econo-run and convention events

Bill Hubbell whubbell at umich.edu
Sat Aug 11 00:01:05 EDT 2007

Before you all go ga-ga about eliminating the economy run or some other
convention event, consider the fact that the Economy Run is one of the few
events just about anybody can participate in, and it gives the local club a
chance to show off the local countryside.

I attended my first convention in 1979 (Detroit).  My Corvair was not
running at the time and so I did not participate in any events.  The next
year, I had my '61 Greenbrier in good enough condition to drive it to
Atlanta; however, it was not a show vehicle, so there was no way we would
participate in Concours, and the Car Display had not been invented yet.  We
chose to drive in the combined Rally/Econo-run and we had a great time (came
in 2nd in both events, FC class!)

Of course, now you can even do the Econo-run in your water-pumper, if you so
desire (no trophy, but still a nice drive and a lot of fun).

I say keep the Economy run but take it out of the city and into the
countryside.

Bill Hubbell