<VV> powerglide pan debris

Dennis FullerFuller fullerhotshotz at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 12 16:07:49 EDT 2007

I found something very bothersome in the PG oil pan of my 64 sedan. Aluminum flakes, most very small, but some up to 1/16" across. they were also on top of the filter/screen. No steel or bronze, just aluminum among the sludge. The car has 74k miles and to my knowledge this is the first time the fluid has been changed. Where could these flakes have come from other than the pg case? what else in the tranny is made of aluminum that could have produced a large thimble full of aluminum flakes. The transmission has been working fine but wear of this sort means something is not right. I realize further inspection and/or rebuild is necessary but if the case itself is worn Ishould probably start with a different tranny. Any idea where these may have come from?