Humidity Re: <VV> Re: GARAGE IDEAS

FrankCB at aol.com FrankCB at aol.com
Sun Aug 12 14:19:13 EDT 2007

Ken,
    FIVE to TEN HP!!!!!   Talk about  OVERKILL!!   I use a simple (but well
made) low HP attic fan that  blows air FROM the house into the attic and out
the vents at each end.  I  open the window(s) at varying amounts depending on
where I want the outside air  to flow in.  I also use a set of 3 wireless Radio
Shack remote temp. and  humidity meters that tell me on the portable readout
unit that I have inside the  house just what outside and basement conditions
are.  The fan also has  a thermostat so I can leave it on all night, and if the
temp of the air drops  too far, it will shut itself off.  We've had this fan
setup for over 38  years and it convinced my wife and me that we really didn't
need central  A/C since we could readily cool off the house most nights.  When
we  went to bed, we kept the bedroom window open so a breeze flowed over  the
bed all night long, unless the temp dropped too far thereby automatically
shutting off the fan.  The fan requires only periodic cleaning and  lubricating
and normally runs at the lowest of the 3 speeds so the sound is not  audible
outside the room that it's in.
    In more recent years, we did install a window A/C  in the bedroom for
those infrequent nights when the outside humidity stayed high  all night.  The
important thing is to have INDICATORS that show  outside and inside humidity
levels so you can decide what to do to mitigate the  problem.
    Frank "likes gauges"  Burkhard

In a message dated 8/12/2007 9:59:27 AM Eastern Daylight Time,