<VV> Musing on Lime Rock

Robert Marlow, Vairtec Corporation Vairtec at optonline.net
Sun Aug 12 22:15:21 EDT 2007

What follows is my opinion, bolstered by the facts that I cite.

The 35th annual "Lime Rock" weekend is coming up in two weeks, on
Sunday (the car show) and Monday (the track event), August 26 and 27.

It will be the last one.

(It will?)

Well, no, not officially.  But it is my considered opinion that you
can take it to the bank, this will be the last Lime Rock.

(Why?)

Several reasons.  But money is the big one.

The ever-increasing popularity of Lime Rock Park has priced it out of
reach.  In 1974, the fee to rent the track for a day was $500.  This
year, the NECC's budget for the event exceeds $16,000.  The
per-driver entry fee this year is $295, which is necessary if the
NECC is to have a prayer of covering expenses and yet is a
disincentive to the casual participant.

Worse yet, as demand for dates at Lime Rock park has increased from
wheel-heeled manufacturers and similarly well-heeled car owners, Lime
Rock has announced a new program which will further reduce the
opportunities for a smaller, less-wealthy demographic such as Corvair
owners:  "The Club at Lime Rock."  Membership in this new exclusive
"club" is $100,000 per individual.  (Yes, 100-thousand
smackers.)  For your 100 k-bucks you get access to several exclusive
and semi-exclusive track days per year.  Clubs such as the NECC have
been asked to give up some track time to accommodate members of "The
Club."  Translation:  In 2008 we'll get less than a full day's use of
the track -- if we get a date at all -- but still pay a full day's rate.

The truth is, it's over.  It has been a great 35 years at a truly
beautiful race track in a truly beautiful part of the country.  Maybe
next year, the die-hard Corvair track enthusiasts will be able to get
together with a group of water-pumper owners and land a date to run
the track, but the traditional Corvair weekend is done for.  The NECC
is already exploring options for a thoroughly different type of
Corvair performance weekend at a new venue beginning in 2008.  But as
for Lime Rock, this is, I'm convinced, Your Last Chance.

Fortunately, a good event is planned.  Sunday's car show is going to
take place on the lawn at the Wake Robin Inn, a gorgeous old
place.  (see http://www.wakerobininn.com/ )  The car show will be
followed by a barbeque supper, under a tent on the lawn, adjacent to
the cars.  If you're staying over for the track event, "Corvair Club"
room rates at the Wake Robin Inn begin at $116 for Sunday night (an
absolute steal in that area).  The track event takes place Monday on
the world-famous Lime Rock Park Road course (
http://www.limerock.com/ ), and if you've never been there, let along
driven the track, this is the year to do it.

Because I'm convinced that it will never happen again.

--Bob