<VV> 66 Monza 110 HP oil capacity

Brandes, Guy GBrandes at loebermotors.com
Mon Aug 13 14:54:08 EDT 2007

Hi Jedd,

You will probably get as many different answers as there are members of
VV but you can find maint. Manuals on e-bay and from the CORVAIR vendors
and I would try and locate one of those as a "must have".  When you
change oil put a baggee over the filter as you WILL spill some and its
hard to clean up.  When you put in a new filter make sure you fill it
with oilas it will be easier on the engine than a no oil pressure start
up.  I usually fill the filter and put the remains in and 3 quarts then
use the dipstick after running and short fill a little.  I use Valvolene
75,000 high mileage oil in 5W30.  Don't use oil with a sticker on it
that says energy efficient as it doesn't protect the rocker arms as
well.  Two thinks to know: 1 some time on start up you may get some
heavy smoking from exhaust, I'm not 100% sure of all the reasons but
it's not a disaster. 2 lifter noise from time to time but drives off
after a few miles, again no big deal.  Enjoy your "new" car and drive
it, they are just plain fun.

Regards,

Guy Brandes

I am the proud new owner of a 66 Monza Coupe.  As a complete newcomer to
the
world of Corvairs, I have ordered a copy of How to Keep Your Corvair
Alive.
Until the book arrives, I wonder if any of you could be so kind as to
tell
me the oil capacity on these engines?  I do not have an owners manual.
know with an oil cooler it is likely to be greater than the 4 to 5
quarts I
am used to with other engines.  Also, any suggestions on whether it is a
good idea to use Lucas oil stabilizer or use synthetic oil?  I don't
want a
routine oil change to end up causing me problems.
Many thanks! Jedd

are the property
mailto:vv-help at corvair.org
http://www.corvair.org/