<VV> Space Saver Donuts

Smitty Smith vairologist at verizon.net
Mon Aug 13 22:25:41 EDT 2007

Smitty Says:  I always get a kick out of people sweating the safety of Space Savers since a couple of articles came out several years ago in either Motor trend or Car and Driver.  First article had to do with a tire company doing a publicity thing to prove their safety, had a couple of hot shoes drive a sedan from coast to coast with four of them on.  At the end of the trip they had signed up for a Pro TD rally which they completed scoring a second place.  The other article was about some engineers trying to set a Land Speed record with an MG.  It's been a while but for some reason it sticks in my mind that it was an "F" series.  The whole thing was a shoe string operation.  Anyway they theorized that the tight 60 lb pressure and very thin tread would work fine.  It did and they broke the record at over 200 mph.
  There are probably better tires for the wet, but unsafe, I don't think so.