<VV> Intake Valve Problem / Corvairitis IS Infectious!

ScottyGrover at aol.com ScottyGrover at aol.com
Wed Aug 15 03:31:20 EDT 2007

In a message dated 8/15/2007 12:25:50 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
westerncanadacorsa at shaw.ca writes:

I just  finished up pulling the head off a 140 belonging to WCC's  newest
member.  She's been a friend for 10 years, and it would appear  that
Corvairitis IS infectious.  She has succumbed to the constant  exposure.

I'll lay out the symptoms to see if anybody has ever  experienced anything
like this before.  She just purchased this car,  and it didn't come from
"with in" so to speak so we don't know all it's  history.  Other than the PO
said the smoking described below came on  gradually.

It was smoking constantly from the pass. side bank.   White smoke, so it's
oil related.  I figured it was a bad guide.   There is no evidence of blowby,
nothing is being pushed up the  dipstick.

However, when we pulled the rocker cover, the lower stud nut  for the #5
Intake had almost completely backed off.  Not the ball nut  mind you, the
whole rocker stud.

Would an intake valve not opening  cause an extreme vacuum situation during
the stroke that would result in  oil being drawn past the  rings?

Regards,
Joel

We'll soon find out; I have had the same problem but didn't know the white
smoke on starting after a day or so's break was from burning oil; I thought
THAT caused blue smoke. I'm due to have someone take up the slack in the  lifter.

Scotty from Hollyweird