<VV> Dummy Drivetrain Advice for Transport

Darrin Hartzler dhartzler at ifc.org
Wed Aug 15 11:00:11 EDT 2007

I am buying a car that is several states away and the current owner wants
to pull the drivetrain before selling the car.  He does not have a dummy
drivetrain available to install in the car so that a shipping company
could collect the car (which is eseentially a shell) and bring it to me
here in Maryland.   He has offered to have the person who pulls the
drivetrain install whatever device or combination of parts that I can come
up with that will fill the bill.  Discussed ideas with Tim Mahler and he
had a few...wanted to see what the experience here is.

I do have an empty differential case that I could ship to the seller for
his mechanic to attach the lower control arms to for shipping, but I do
not know if a case by itself, without the support of a transmission
connected to the front crossbar, would be sufficient.   It would have to
be wired in place and would likely be a much for an average shipping
company to deal with.   Please let me know if any of you have used just a
diff. case in such a situation and if there were any negatives.   I am
woried that if it is wired up to the cowl area any violence in shipping
would cause damage to the cowl area which is currently pristine.

Any other ideas of ways to dummy up a drivetrain or make a car without a
powerpak suitable for shipping would be appreciated.   Please keep in mind
that whatever I come up with has to be shipped 600 miles, so weight is
also a concern....if it were not I would just ship a whole drivetrain out
to him.  Tim had a cut half shaft with a bar welded to make it the right
length to span between the two wheels.   I could do something like that
but it would be heavy and oversized to ship...not ideal.

Final option, if anybody in the Springfield, Ill. area has a dummy
drivetrain or even a real drivetrain that they would let go for a good
price, that could be an option if I could figure out how to get it to the
right place at the right time.

Thanks,

Darrin Hartzler
Bethesda, MD