<VV> GM into "Drag" Racing? - only slight Corvair

FrankCB at aol.com FrankCB at aol.com
Wed Aug 15 15:03:03 EDT 2007

Seth,
    Well, in some cases at least, I think GM paid TOO  MUCH attention to the
female buyers.  In my 1995 Trans Sport Minivan the  only way I can get enough
leg room (as the driver) is to move the seat ALL the  way back and ALL the way
up.  And I'm less than 6 feet tall and less than  200 lbs!!!  I could
understand doing this in a SMALL car, where legroom is  at a premium, but in a LARGE
MINIVAN it seems a bit ridiculous to limit the  driver seat rearward travel.
I wonder how many drivers 6 ft and  taller were turned away from buying these
cars since they couldn't  easily DRIVE them?
    Reminds me of the time I slipped into the driver's  seat of a LM Corvair
with Crown V-8 conversion.  Not a car I could  live with on a long drive, but
at least there I could see the reason for  it.  What's GM's excuse for their
NEWER STOCK cars?
    Frank "grumpy" Burkhard

In a message dated 8/15/2007 2:29:54 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
Sethracer at aol.com writes:

>From  some Auto Industry Blog:
(http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?DID=RSS&n=189&sid=189&article=13211
)

During the development of General Motors' new GMT900 SUVs, the team  in
charge of design was taken out to the company's Milford Proving  Grounds and
made
to dress in drag as an exercise. They wore  high-heels, fake press-on nails
and
garbage bag skirts to simulate  what The Car Connection refers to as "female
handicaps" (are we  really calling them that?) while operating various
features
of their new  'utes. The result was at least three features on GM's new SUVs
that   wouldn't have been there otherwise: retractable running boards for
easier  entry/exit in a skirt, a larger center console that can hold  a purse
and an
easier to operate rear lift gate.

The idea for this  excursion into  androgyny came from Mary Sipes, a vehicle
line  director at GM and a woman with a  mission to make her company's
vehicles
more user friendly for females. Since  women comprise more than  50-percent
of
the buying public, she realized it would  only help the  company's bottom
line
to consider them more when designing new   vehicles. Since the design teams
are
still very male dominated, Sipes  decided to  dress her teams in drag to
force
them to consider their  vehicles from a female  perspective. Hmmm... perhaps
better  solution than playing dress up would be to  just hire more women.
Regardless, the intent was commendable, but we're  wondering if our  female
readers
can think of any other missing features that  might  make their lives a
little
easier.