<VV> 65 headlinghts go off

Tom Suter tsuter at eisc.org
Wed Aug 15 16:17:28 EDT 2007

As Harry suggested, pull back the mat/carpet and check the dimmer switch.
The switch could still work be OK, but the terminals may be so badly
corroded that the plastic connector has melted from the heat generated by
the poor connection.  Such corrosion is common, particularly in northern
cars in which salty water from drivers' shoes over the years has run down
the switch over the connections.

Tom Suter
=====================

|---------+-------------------------------->
|         |           Edelstein and Payne  |
|         |           <eandp at mindspring.com|
|         |           >                    |
|         |           Sent by:             |
|         |           virtualvairs-bounces@|
|         |           corvair.org          |
|         |                                |
|         |                                |
|         |           08/15/2007 03:31 PM  |
|         |           Please respond to    |
|         |           Edelstein and Payne  |
|         |                                |
|---------+-------------------------------->
  >-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                                                                           |
  |       To:       virtualvairs at corvair.org                                                                  |
  |       cc:                                                                                                 |
  |       Subject:  <VV> 65 headlinghts go off                                                                |

Folks,
     Driving down the road at night in the "new" maroon Vair, occasionally
the headlights will suddently go off (very dark!).  They will come back on
(usually) if you push in the headlight switch and then pull it back out.
Anyone got any ideas about what might be causing this problem?  Replacing
the headlight switch looks like a "pain", but I'll do it if I have to.  I
just thought someone else might have seen this problem and there is an
easier fix.