<VV> KYB shocks for late models

Edelstein and Payne eandp at mindspring.com
Wed Aug 15 15:57:50 EDT 2007

folks,

     A week or so ago I posted part numbers for KYB gas adjust shocks for the front of my 65 Vair.  This was a number that I had gotten from talking to the KYB tech folks after providing them with the part number on some shocks I had gotten from Rick Stansbury (Corvair Motorsports) about 3 years ago.  Those were for 2" drop springs, and I wanted front shocks for stock springs.  The tech guy started with the 2" drop shocks, which were part number KG4507, and found a shock, KG5476, with the correct dimensions and that was 2.2" longer in reach.  I ordered those shocks from PST (Performance Suspension Technologies), and when they came in, I found that they had an upper "dust cover", and obviously would not fit up in the pocket in the front cross member.  So I called the KYB tech folks and had a fairly long conversation.  A guy named Dan spent a lot of time checking out all of their shocks and could not find one that DID NOT have an upper dust cover, and that was of the correct dimensions.  So I'm sending the KG5476 shocks back, and right now I'm looking for other options for relatively low priced performance shocks for the front.

     The KYB rear shocks for stock springs, part number KG5551 work fine.  KYB still makes the 2" drop shock, part number KG4507, but that is not something that I want to try with stock springs.  So does anyone else know of reasonably priced performance front shocks for late models?  Also, Corvair Motorsports did list a KYB shock for stock and 1" drop springs on the front. Does anyone have a set of those that they could get the KYB part number off of?

        Thanks,

                 Travis Payne      65 Monza coupe
                 Raleigh, Nc       65 500 coupe