<VV> Failed emissions test

burkhard at rochester.rr.com burkhard at rochester.rr.com
Fri Aug 17 15:31:10 EDT 2007

This is just an sniffer-in the pipe test while idling, right?  They are
usally "no biggee" to deal with and shouldn't be a cause for alarm.
Suggested approaches

1.  If they sniff right where you have teh idle speed set, make sure
it's set a little high.  Go for 1000 rpm (you didn't say if this an
automatic, but if it is you don't want to go too high or it will be
quite a lurch on engaging "D"). If they rev it up to take the
reading "off-idle", don't bother fiddling with the idle speed, though.

2.  Retard the static spark advance by 10 deg from where you now have
it (10 deg BTC sounds a bit low already though... what is the spec?).
This will tend to make the engine run hot (because combustion rates
will be slower exhaust temps will be higher), so drive it
conservatively and try to make this "adjustment" nearby the inspection
place.  You don't want to drive the car hard for 20 miles and burn an
exhaust valve.  The hotter exhaust will do wonders to oxidize the HC
and CO. :-)

3.  Enlean the idle fuel mixture a bit.  It should already be at lean
limit, but if you boosted the idle speed a little, you can get away
with a bit more.  The extra oxygen in the exhaust will do wonders to
oxidize HC & CO. :-)

You might not need all 3 steps...  If it's cheap/convenient to retry,
experiment a bit.  These unloaded "concentration only" tests are
generally quite easy to pass. Life gets a little tougher in areas that
require chassis dyno tests that include NOx emission measurements. They
generally exempt old cars for those, though.

Let us know how you make out.  Send me an email with the "VV" tags
removed from the subject line if you have an off-list question.  My
mail gets auto-sorted based on teh VV tag, so sometimes, that stuff
takes weeks to read (or gets skipped entirely).

best regards-
Jim Burkhard