RE <VV> Into Every Life a Little Rain...

Mark Corbin airvair at earthlink.net
Sun Aug 19 10:53:09 EDT 2007

The 'gator's gonna be the next thing to crawl outta you car. Thanks for the
laugh, even if was at your own expense.

-Mark

sometimes rains in Florida in the summer.
>    Car was parked in a nice spot, top was down, engine lid was up,  the
usual cruise-in drill. As dinner time approached I scanned the skies and
all that was to be seen was high cumulus, none of that cumulo-nimbus that
means rain, so off to dinner I went.
>   Two bites into my sandwich I glanced at the windows and wondered why
they looked so dirty, then realized it was rain. Lots of rain. A closer
glance revealed that the other side of the street was not visible. It was
what we call a 'frog strangler.' No point in rushing out to put up the top
on an already soaked car, so I finished dinner. By then the rain had
stopped so I went to survey the damage. Yep, the corvair had been soaked.
The dimple in the air cleaner was full, carpets were squishey and, worse
yet, the pop up tent I carry in the back had erupted in a cascade of ants.
Yes, we have lots of ants in Florida.
>   One idiot spectator asked me if I was gonna pull the drain plugs. Nope.
A woman pointed at the wet engine. "Probably won't start," she said.
Ignored her, turned the key and the Corvair roared to life. Yes, I had
wiped up the water on the air cleaner and figured I'd better keep the
engine running to preclude steam inside the distributor.
>   Halfway home the ants, doubtless looking for drier ground, had found my
shoes and legs. Ever try driving a Corvair at 65 miles an hour on a wet
road while killing ants?
>   Got home, pulled the tent, the carpets and the rear seat out and hung
them out to dry. The wet-dry vac got about 1.5 gallons of water off the
floorpans which, happily, had been Por-15-ed. Pulled my chair and umbrella
out of the trunk only to be greeted with a couple of fire ants which had
climbed on the chair in my absence. Fire ant bites hurt like original sin.
Vac-ed them up, then I set two box fans in the car which is where they will
spend the night, hopefully finishing the drying process.
>   Did I forget anything? Oh yeah, we have both ants, rain and alligators
in Florida. I'm still looking for the gator. The good news is the top
stayed dry.