<VV> front engine Corvair

Mark Corbin airvair at earthlink.net
Sun Aug 19 11:19:39 EDT 2007

That's about the best way to describe it. The old saw I've so often heard,
"just to see, prove, (insert word) if it can be done" isn't a reason, it's
an excuse. One has to ask just how many rodders are in an all-fired rush to
put their Camaro's (or any other car's) engine in the BACK. Yea, right.
When you can even those numbers out, then you can talk to me about a
"front-engine" Corvair.

The problem I have with the idea of a "front-engine" Corvair is that that's
like saying (the proverbial) "millitary intellegence" or something like
that. It's a total contradiction in terms. The whole idea of a Corvair is
to have the engine BEHIND the passenger compartment. The moment you put it
in front of the passengers, it ceases to become a REAL Corvair, and becomes
a "something" in Corvair sheepskin. It's nothing short of heresy. I often
wonder if building a car like that encourages the public to question the
Corvair designers' wisdom of having a rear-engine in the first place.

And THAT, regardless of workmanship quality or any other excuse, is reason
enough to disown such vehicles as Corvairs. To me, they are not Corvairs
anymore, plain and simple.

-Mark

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,869176,00.html?promoid=goog