<VV>re: Corvair a should-be classic? - Milestone Car Society

Russ Moorhouse corvair65 at verizon.net
Wed Aug 22 14:36:58 EDT 2007

I'm not sure I would want to belong to the Classic Car Club of America.
They appear to be a very select, snobby group, intent on keeping anyone else
out, who can't afford 100 grand plus cars of certain vintage, year, model
and manufacturers.

However, we Corvair owners, are able to belong to the "Milestone Car
Society", which is more open minded than CCCA.  They have 5 Criteria for
acceptance of a car as a Certified Milestone Car. The model should be
distinctive because of Styling, Engineering, Performance, Innovation, and/or
Craftsmanship-relative to their contemporaries.  Corvair met all of these
and is considered a Milestone car by the society.  To see what their
thoughts are and what cars they consider milestone go to their website:
http://www.milestonecarsociety.org/

On another note for those of us who subscribe to Hemmings Classic Car, is
anyone besides me getting tired of reading David Schultz's column?  He just
goes on and on about the CCCA considers a classic. until I'm sick of hearing
it.  It's as if nobody else is entitled to call their car a classic, because
it hasn't been mandated a classic by CCCA.

I wrote the magazine a letter for them to consider for their Recap column,
but it got canned.  My suggestion was that since Mr. Schultz refers to these
classics as "automobiles" or "motor cars" more often than cars, then it
might be more appropriate for CCCA to change their name from Classic Car
Club of America to the Classic Automobile or Motor Car Club of America, and
let the rest of call our more common cars, that the average person drove,
rather than the wealthy, "Classics".  After all it was these mainstream
cars, bought and owned by the average person, that made the automobile
industry the giant it is today.

Russ Moorhouse
'65 Corsa coupe 140 HP
Group Corvair Member