<VV> spark plug questions technical revisited again

Michael Kovacs kovacsmj at sbcglobal.net
Thu Aug 23 20:03:41 EDT 2007

   When I removed the R44F plugs I noticed #2 & #5 were quite clean with just a trace of deposit. However, the other 4 were black and dusted with carbon. Is this the result of a 140 running mostly on just the primary carbs and the far cyls don't get the same air fuel mixture?

   It runs very strong at all engine speeds, with no hint of a problem. The exhaust pipes are black carbon dust.

   The primaries are .053 and the secondaries are .050. Engine is .060 over.
  A quick calculation shows the area of a jet:
  .053 = .005200
  .052 = .002122
  .051 = .002041
  .050 = .001962 recommended  primary
  .046 = .001661 recommended secondary

   The .053 has over twice the area of a .052

   Try it your self  3.14x(radius squared).

   Next trick will be to go to an .052 in the primaries.

   The .050 is virtually the same as a .051

   Comments, am I wrong??

MIKE KOVACS