<VV> OK is it true or not ?

ScottyGrover at aol.com ScottyGrover at aol.com
Thu Aug 23 19:36:35 EDT 2007

In a message dated 8/23/2007 1:41:41 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
tonyu at roava.net writes:

IN late  model 'Vairs, there's no swing-axle shafts to hang on the
rear swingarms,  so if a late motor mount fails the engine could
likely drop down far  enough for the skid plate to make
sparks.    However...  on  my '65 ragtop I deliberately did drop the
engine down after removing the  motor mount, just to see how far a
late drivetrain might dip, and it did  NOT hit the ground.   The axles
and lower strut rods combined to  "bind up" enough to not allow the
engine to droop down far enough to touch  the ground, even with me
pushing down on it from above...  not real  hard, didn't wanna crack
the bellhousing which was all that was supporting  the engine.

I thought that the late models were designed so as not to let the engine
bottom out while driving, but I was proved wrong; hit a sudden drainage dip on a
city street, heard a loud wham, pulled over and found my nice, expensive
Clarks'  oil pan had hit the ground and broken.  They don't hang down low for
extra  oil capacity.

Scotty from Hollyweird