<VV> Classics

Smitty Smith vairologist at verizon.net
Sun Aug 26 12:00:38 EDT 2007

Smitty Says:  Not to offend anybody but you must understand that if the CCCA, AACA, or HCCA places a definition of Classic, only on cars of limited production and extremely high original selling price, They are identifying them for themselves.  They don't care what you call your Corvair but they will never accept it as a classic in their club.  It is no more snobbish than in our own community we set the standard as to what a factory original Corvair is.  You might pass off your car as being rarely original at the local Shine and Show but it wouldn't get past the most cursory exam at classification at a National Convention.  You say it's original.  They say it's not.  They set the standard and if you don't like it.  Tough.
  I grew up in the midst of antique, classic, vintage, veteran, and gas light cars and the clubs that support them.  When I fill up at the pump and somebody smilingly says, Hey that's a real classic.  I smile and say thanks, I enjoy it.  Some little voice down inside says, You ignorant Ass, it's a collector car, not a classic.  Why?  Because I was taught to understand and value the difference, and, why the difference, 20 years before Corvairs existed.  Those people were protecting their definitions in the 40s.
  In closing, it is as silly to get upset because someone won't accept your car as a classic as it is to get upset if they won't accept your car as a gas light car.
  Do I belong to any of those clubs ?  No, never have.