<VV> Classics

henry kaczmarek kaczmarek at charter.net
Sun Aug 26 12:30:32 EDT 2007

    Folks
Let me expand on what my good friend has said:

Smitty's dead on in that the word "Classic" has a specific definition in the
automobile world.

In fact, though not accurate, many different people have their own
interpretation of the word.

For the groups listed in in HCC, they have theirs.

It's just like customers who call Steele and say they want "a complete
rubber kit".  I tell them that word means something different to everyone
who calls.

I have my own definition of Classic in my own mind.  Syling lines on a car
body can be classic.  Fuel delivery systems can be classic.  Tail-light
designs can be classic.  There's just too many definitions in my mind of
what can be described as "Classic"

to Me, the Corvair has a lot of classic qualities.  The em 4dr roof lines
and rear leading edge is classic styling.  The front headlight bezels of the
LM that give the "bug" look are classic lines.  3 duces, the 140 4 carb set
up, and dual high rise Offenhauser manifolds with twin holley 1000+CFM carbs
is classic fuel delivery. The fastback look of a 67 Impala is classic.
A 70 Chevelle cowl induction hood scoop is classic.

Really to each their own.

Smitty's right about one thing: People who think their car original, find
out differently at the National Concours Classification.  I've made a habit
when I'm there on classification day to stand as close as possible without
interfering  when lclc is making the calls, you can learn an awful lot by
osmosis.

I've seen many a PO'ed corvair owner after their car was classified.

Smitty's also right that the Corvair is indeed a collector car, not a
classic. But just as some fraternal groups are societies with secrets yet
not a secret society,  Corvairs are collector cars with classic attributes,
yet not a classic car.

Hank