<VV> Corvair in BusinessWeek

Bill Hubbell whubbell at umich.edu
Sun Aug 26 20:55:05 EDT 2007

Matt:

They FINALLY posted my comment (below), which, by the way, was written half
an hour before yours!

William Hubbell

Aug 26, 2007 3:56 PM GMT
 The comments about the Corvair are so completely inaccurate one has to
wonder if the writer has ever actually driven one. Far from being
underpowered, the Corvair was so sporty it actually created the small sports
car genre in America. As far as "bursting into flames" when rear-ended, that
would be a tough trick, since the Corvair's gas tank is up front, not in the
rear. Finally, the comment that "they were all death traps" is most absurd
of all. The design of the 1960-63 Corvair (subject of Ralph Nader's
allegations) was exonerated by the 1971 report of the National Highway
Traffic Safety Administration in its 134 page report. Additionally, the 1960
Corvair was Motor Trend's Car of the year, and the design of the Early Model
Corvairs (1960-64) won praise the world over for its styling, which was
copied over and over again by many foreign auto makers. Bill Hubbell

Matt Nall

Aug 26, 2007 4:27 PM GMT
 IN Reference to 1960-64 cars: Funny, this article is titled "World's
Ugliest Cars" yet the 1960-64 Corvair is similar to many European designs of
the LATER 60s....go figure! As far as "Performance / Handling / Braking,"
why then did Bill Mitchell, Richard Fitch, and Bill Thomas all spend so much
time developing the car? Why did Ford have to resort to v8 power [Mustang]
to overcome the Corvair's sales of over 1,000,000 cars in those 5 years?
"Why do you NOT see many Corvairs at Shows?" Because the people are out
driving them on back roads! 2 lane twisties....not the Interstates where 99%
of the 1960s cars are really "Unsafe at any Speed" without all the modern
updates added! Just my thoughts...and YES, I prefer the 65-69 Corvairs, only
owning ONE 64, that without argument by most design studios throughout the
world is, "one of the most beautiful designs ever / Timeless!"