<VV> odd casting number

Mark Corbin airvair at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 28 13:51:36 EDT 2007

All,

Got the following letter from Tom Silvey about an unusual casting number on
a 140 head he has:

"Found something strange this week. From my numerous supply of 140 heads I
had selected two heads for a 140 engine I am buinding for my '67 a/c four
door car. Of course, I picked the best late heads with the 3/8 threads for
the a/c and the solid head stud boss. However, I found that both heads did
not have the same part number. One has 3/8 holes for the a/c and the
remainder of the holes are 1/4-20. The bosses for the 3/8 holes have not
been added but are cast. The P/N are 3878370 and 3883864 for the strange
head. My guess is that it is an early '66. Can not find my list of head
part numbers so do not know now."

Tom also gave me the name of Corvette Central as a good source (according
to friend Tom Cate) of Corvair tele column repair parts. Their number is
1-800-345-4122.

BTW, I'm CC'ing Tom with this, if anyone wants to respond directly to him.

-Mark

airvair at earthlink.net
EarthLink Revolves Around You.