<VV> Diff Still Blowing Lube Out Vent

Mikeamauro at aol.com Mikeamauro at aol.com
Sat Dec 1 10:49:25 EST 2007

I posted this issue sometime back; thought I had it under control, but it
has reared its ugly head, once again.

Vehicle Specifics: 67 coupe 110, PG, 3:27 axle gear; the converter has  been
modified for a slightly higher stall speed. The transmission is using no
fluid (so I doubt it is passing fluid into the diff).

Symptoms: After an extended run at highway speeds (70-80 mph), upon  parking,
and looking under vehicle the next day a puddle of diff lube can be  found
under the vehicle. The puddle size varies, but most recently it  was about
10-inches in diameter. Reaching up and feeling the top cover of the  diff, diff
lube is found on top of the cover. As lube level lessens, amount  of blow out
decreases. After a period of vehicle use, gauging level of diff  lube, by
sticking digit into fill hole, becomes impossible: add more diff  lube and repeat
cycle.

What I've Tried: Modified underside of diff cover, welding an additional
baffle shield under OEM port leading to cover vent... no appreciable reduction
in blow out. Replaced diff lube with synthetic lube treated (50%) with  Lucas
Oil Stabilizer. Following this, blow out seemed much reduced, but still
present: lowered lube level approximately 1" below lube fill port, and blow  out
appeared to cease... until yesterday.

Can anyone comment on what may be causing this situation, and what possible
fixes might be tried? For the racers: you stress the equipment well beyond the
 limits of my everyday, highway use; do any of you take any special measures
to keep the diff lube where it belongs? And, finally, how low a lube level
(below fill port) can one operate, without damage to the diff?

Would appreciate any insights or ideas... thank you,
Mike Mauro