<VV> Diff Still Blowing Lube Out Vent

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Sat Dec 1 14:18:30 EST 2007

In a message dated 12/1/2007 7:49:39 AM Pacific Standard Time,
Mikeamauro at aol.com writes:

Can  anyone comment on what may be causing this situation, and what possible

fixes might be tried? For the racers: you stress the equipment well beyond
the
limits of my everyday, highway use; do any of you take any special  measures
to keep the diff lube where it belongs? And, finally, how  low a lube level
(below fill port) can one operate, without damage  to the diff?

Would appreciate any insights or ideas... thank  you,
Mike Mauro

Mike I added a breather on my Corvair diff when road racing. Cheap ol  me, I
used an old-style metal army canteen. I drilled the bottom full of  holes,
then band sawed off the bottom 1/3. I added a barbed 3/8  fitting about half way
between the cut line and the top of the canteen and  stuffed it full of Fuel
Cell foam - Open cell-type foam - and welded back  on the bottom. I mounted it
upside down on the back side of the rear seat  location, just above the trans,
with the barb aimed back toward the diff. I  replaced the breather on the
diff cover with a male thread fitting and the hose  up to the breather had the
female hose end, so I could disconnect it for  powertrain removal. any lube/air
would travel up the hose to the canteen, with  the filter foam removing the
lube as the air traveled up and out the breather  holes and the fluid dropping
to the "top" of the canteen After an  event, or regularly, I could remove the
cap off the can and drain any left over  fluid. In a couple of years of
competition, I almost never had any oil drain  out. It worked for me! That reminds
me, I have to make another one for my  car-in-work! - Seth Emerson