<VV> beat up bolt heads, and the wrenches that cause that

djtcz at comcast.net djtcz at comcast.net
Tue Dec 11 18:52:02 EST 2007

Socket wrenches usually have a chamfer or bevel on the open end.
http://media.allrefer.com/s1/l/s0528900-socket-wrench.jpg

The chamfer demonstates good workmanship, and probably reduces stress concentration in the socket  little bit, but when a bolt head or nut is not full height the lost contact area can beat up the fastener and the wrench will slip.  I have a few 6 pt sockets whose ends I've ground flat to provide maximum bolt hex contact. As I recall Corvair flywheel size is one.

--
Dan Timberlake