<VV> Electric fuel pump

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Mon Dec 17 11:07:04 EST 2007

In a message dated 12/16/2007 11:57:00 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
bradwaddell at sbcglobal.net writes:

I want  to install and electric fuel pump to help the fuel delivery.   Should
this pump be a pulling pump as the engine or should it push from the  tank?

You will get a bunch of suggestions. The system I like best, if you are
using regular carburetors, is the in-tank pump kit sold by "The Source" I
believe. I think Lew Rishel was building them. They added a low-pressure in-tank
pump and mounted it on the sending unit support inside the tank, adding a
pass-through to feed it power through the sender - so no additional tank
penetrations are needed. It is a clean set-up and, since the pump runs submerged  in
fuel, it should be quieter than an external mount. The surrounding fuel acts  as
a cooler for the motor in the pump, so don't run the car out of gas or the
pump might be damaged. There are additional items needed for a regular street
installation, notably a method of controlling the pump power if the oil
pressure  drops - (due to the engine stalling or quitting). There are replacement
cut-off  oil pressure switches (Vega) which will help. On most installations on
frequently driven cars, the pump will come on after the car starts and the oil
 pressure comes up. That is usually fine. If the cars sits a bunch and the
carbs  are dry, you might have to bypass the cut-off to get fuel to start up.
Under no  circumstances should you mount an electric pump in the engine
compartment. They  are much better "pushers" than pullers, and the lower the mount,
the better.  Also remember that with a pump added in or near the tank, your fuel
system  is now pressurized and subject to gas leaks. Check all hoses and
clamps! Seth  Emerson