<VV> RE:> VDO Gauges-charging system

Vairjer at cs.com Vairjer at cs.com
Mon Dec 24 08:22:15 EST 2007

snip>my newly installed voltmeter, my gauge readings about 90% of the time
would read very close to 15 volts whether cruising or idling,lites,fan,stereo on
or off. The other 10% of the time it reads about 13 volts. <

The voltage regulator used for Delcotrons was designed to provide between
13.8 to 14.8 volts and the internal regulator was temperature compensated to
provide a variable charging voltage for a cold vs a hot battery.  It is normal for
the voltage to be higher initially than after "warmup".  You did not say
(that I noted) where you were measuring the voltage with the gage, or whether you
installed the "one wire" type of alternator or had used a "sense" wire to
compensate for any voltage drop.  Not knowing the resolution/accuracy of your VDO
gage or the point at which you are measuring, the numbers you report are
reasonable and typical of the charging system.

Jerry McKenzie
(former test engineer Delco Remy)