Volume Consumed Re: <VV> Engine Question - Some Corvair

FrankCB at aol.com FrankCB at aol.com
Tue Dec 25 17:41:38 EST 2007

Bob,
    Since it take 2 revolutions of the engine to go  throufh one cycle, the
correct answer to how much VOLUME of air-fuel mixture is  consumed is:
    displacement x RPM x 0.5
    So a 164 cu.in engine at 6000 rpm consumes 164 x  6000 rpm x 0.5 =
492,000 cu.in. of mix per minute.  But this doesn't tell  you how much HP is
produced since HP depends on how much WEIGHT of air/fuel  mix is consumed.  So you
also need to know the temp. and pressure of the  mix entering the combustion
chamber to calculate the WEIGHT of the flow.   And anything that increases the
pressure and/or decreases the temp. of the mix  will increase the HP since it
will increase the WEIGHT flow for a certain  displacement at a certain rpm
    See how easy it is?<GGGGG>
    Frank Burkhard

In a message dated 12/24/2007 10:37:25 PM Eastern Standard Time,