<VV> corvair air fuel appetite

djtcz at comcast.net djtcz at comcast.net
Tue Dec 25 22:24:52 EST 2007

A 4 stroke engine's piston takes a gulp every other down stroke.  The other Alternate downstroke is the power stroke, and I would not want to give that one up.

Then there is the matter of volumetric efficiency which rarely exceeds 80% or so in street engines, unless a supercharger is involved.

SO, I believe the answer to your original question of the volume of air/fuel mixture per revolution is engine displacement X 0.5 X volumetric efficiency/100.

When the question turns to cubic feet per minute for carb selection purposes, the rpm must be included, plus a factor to go from cubic inches to cubic feet or whatever.
rpm X engine displacement X 0.5 X volumetric efficiency/100
Various online calculators allow plugging in rpm, VE, and displacement to derive a cubic something per minute estimate.
http://www.4secondsflat.com/Carb_CFM_Calculator.html

Holley carb website has a chart for those of us who would rather connect the dots.
http://www.holley.com/data/TechService/Technical/Selecting%20A%20Carburetor.pdf
--
Dan Timberlake