<VV> More on Oil Formulations

Greg Hanlin g.hanlin at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 26 09:45:20 EST 2007

All,

With all of the discussion about modern motor oils in the last year or so, I thought I'd mention this.

A couple of weeks ago there was an article in our local newspaper (Dayton Ohio) about a local fellow fed up with the lack of motor oils suitable for his old cars.  So he and a partner found a refinery which would make the blend he wanted (0.125% zinc and phosphorous), and they started selling it.  It is only sold in gallon jugs and costs $14.50.  Since September, he's sold about 4000 gallons of it.  Currently they make 15w40 and are talking about 20w50.  Here is a link to the story that appeared in the paper

http://tinyurl.com/ywnpza

The contact info is think-zinc at motorheadoil.com or 937-254-2673 if anyone is interested.  There is not a functional web site.  I have not been by the shop to check it out, nor have I bought any for my cars yet - but I'm seriously considering it.

Greg Hanlin
Dayton  OH