<VV> AC Delco synthetic oil - NO CORVAIR

Garth Stapon corvair2 at earthlink.net
Sun Dec 30 17:10:05 EST 2007

Dan:

Wal-Mart sells no name full synthetic oil under their house brand label (SuperTech) as a full synthetic in a 5 gallon jug for less than $ 15.00 for 5 quarts. It is made by one of the majors.

It meets all the API certifications.  I use it as a blending agent at a ratio of 60% synthetic and 40 % 15W 40 diesel oil for my personal cars in winter. I do not use it in the Company car as it is under warranty and 5W20 is specified although I am always changing oil at my local Ford Dealer as they put in a Motorcraft filter that has an anti drain valve (a topic for another post) and they use a semi synthetic blend as the factory fill. The irony in this is that Ford of Canada recommends the dino blend as sufficient on the Canadian Taurus even though some areas are subject to very low temperatures in winter and the low temperature flow characteristics of synthetic blends and full synthetics are well documented when compared with conventional oil.

I run the full synthetic base in the blend as I think it gives improved low service temperature flow characteristics plus the anti wear additives that come with the diesel oil gives me a feeling that I get some of the benefits of the fleet anti wear additive package. Versus conventional oil, I believe that I see less wear especially on start up with a purrolator filter that contains the ant drain valve and the improved flow that comes with the full synthetic again only when compared to conventional oil (not a full synthetic).

I also like to run the blend as I saw some oil leak issues with a full synethic Mobil 1 on my 2000 VW Passat even though they say the new full synthetic oils have seal swell agents. Small drops of oil on the exhaust system makes for a smelly passanger compartment.

THIS IS not likely a recommendation that you will get from the membership of this list, but im my research and personal experience, I determined that the 5W30 full synthetics will normally flow to -50 F or better – according to the label. I never see anything close to that winter temperature here in New England but realize that 100 % diesel oil has very poor flow at low temperature and is not suggested for use at temps below -20 F as it turns into sludge. There is some discussion that the higher phosphorous level in diesel oil may have a detrimental long term impact on cat life, but I have been running diesel oil in my cars for many years with no noticeable impact. Phosphorous is also said to bring improved valve wear characteristics.

I switch to full diesel oil when the weather warms except in my Corvair due to higher operating temperatures of the air cooled motor. I stay with a full synthetic. I am not particular on the oil brand, just the API certs on the can. If the diesel oil meets Cat, Cummins and the like (which all 15W40’s seem to meet), it has an exceptional anti wear package although you will give up 1 mpg as there are no friction modifiers in the diesel oil. The expectation of the fleet crowd is 1,000,000 miles of engine life. I also run premium fuel to help with limiting engine knock as I noticed knock is more prevalent with the thicker diesel oil.

To me, controlling wear is more important than a slight improvement in gas mileage as I keep my all my cars for a long time. I think the loss of gas mileage is easily made up for via paying close attention to tire pressures.

On my sons 98 Chevy Tracker, I actually change my synthetic / diesel oil blend at 2,000 mile intervals as the 1.6 L - 4 cylinder always seems to spin at 4,000 plus rpm. With 95 HP on tap and a young driver, I am certain that you can appreciate hwy this is. That motor purrs and has over 90,000 miles on it. Oil consumption in all my cars also dropped when I started using the 15W40 oil blend. (As stated earlier, I lost 1 mpg) so if gas mileage is important to you, stick with a warranty approved oil as it has a friction modifier package that helps to improve mileage (again at the expense of wear in my view).

IMO, the additive package in warranty approved oil meets the desire of the big three to squeeze extra gas mileage out of the motor and in my opinion; this is at the expense of engine longevity. CAFE fines drive this.

If you elect to use a blend as I do, pay attention that you select only a full synthetic that is compatible with leading conventional oils which is normally clearly stated on the label for the oil that I select. The Wal-Mart blends meet this and based on several thousand miles of use under my belt including a 1,800 non stop trip to Canada in October (3 drivers in 33 hours).

I have seen great performance with a 200% drop in oil consumption in my V6 Passat. 800 miles / quart up to 1/2 quart in 2,000 miles. The car always used oil until I switched - I bought it with 65,000 miles and now it has 112,000 miles and has never run better.

It imprortant to note, that I would not even consider suggsting this as an option without several thousand successful miles under my belt.

I am sure this post is going to create a firestorm.

Regards, the kitchen table oil blender

LATE POWER GLIDE SEDANS RULE
Happy New Year to All
Regards, Garth