<VV> regular gas and fuel economy in a 110hp corvair

Roger Gault r.gault at sbcglobal.net
Sun Dec 30 20:38:31 EST 2007

Ray,
[flame suit at ready] Corvairs get pretty terrible gas mileage.  Forty years
ago it didn't matter, so GM wasn't spending bazillions trying to figure out
how to bring the numbers up.  I get 15 in mixed driving with my 140 4spd
(well, I do have a lead foot).  I used to get 30 (at 55) with my '66 110,
but it ran so lean it pinged all the time and finally broke a piston.

Put some premium in it and re-time it so it just barely pings in a few
circumstances.  Re-check you mileage and see if it isn't cheaper to run it
that way.  Around here, it's $0.13 a gallon / grade difference in price, or
about 4% per grade.  So going from regular to premium costs me about 8-9%
more, which, at 15 mpg, is equivalent to less than 1.5 mpg.  Retarding your
timing will cost you way more than that.

Roger