Use a Voltmeter Re: <VV> lights brighten sporadically

FrankCB at aol.com FrankCB at aol.com
Mon Dec 31 16:54:47 EST 2007

Ray,
    Attach a cigarette lighter adapter plug to a  voltmeter and plug it into
the cigarette lighter socket.  Now you can tell  if the occasional brightening
of the lights is due to a higher than normal  voltage on the electrical
system.  Normal should be about 14.0 to 14.5  volts after the engine is warmed up
and perhaps a 1/2 volt higher on a cold  engine/alternator/regulator.  If the
regulator is periodically  malfunctioning (sticking points) the voltage can
increase by a full volt or even  more which will tend to burn out the light bulbs
if it lasts very long.  If  that's the problem, then getting a solid state
(transistorized) regulator like  all modern cars have will solve it.
    Let us know what you find.
    Frank "measure before replacing" Burkhard

In a message dated 12/30/2007 8:34:19 PM Eastern Standard Time,