<VV> Dinensioal Analysis

FrankCB at aol.com FrankCB at aol.com
Thu Feb 1 14:07:55 EST 2007

In my opinion, the real value of dimensional analysis is its ability  to let
you figure out conversions and calculations without having to memorize
formulas.  For example, if you want to convert 60 miles per hour to feet  per second:
    60 miles/hr  X  5280 ft/mile   X  hr/3600 sec    =   88 ft/sec

For a MUCH clearer explanation/illustration of just how this works, refer  to
pages 23 and 24 in Bob Helt's excellent book "Corvair Secrets".  He  calls it
"Devising a Formula" and clearly shows, using dimensional analysis,  just how
you can put together your own mathematical formula or conversion.   And you
don't need a math or engineering degree to follow his explanation, just  a
simple hand calculator (or slide rule<GGGGGG>).
    Frank "try it, you'll like it" Burkhard

In a message dated 1/27/2007 11:40:47 AM Eastern Standard Time,