<VV> Convertible damper canisters

J R Read_HML hmlinc at sbcglobal.net
Sun Feb 4 23:21:51 EST 2007

Funny you should mention THAT.  In 1999, the Proving grounds had it's 75th
anniversary and several Vairs showed up.  Those who did found a SURPRISE
opportunity to drive on a portion of the test track.  The 80+ mph lane high
banked turn was quite ROUGH.  Rough enough to make me think about the
possibility of launching a mag style wheel cover.  I could feel the
"bottoming out" of the shocks and moved over to the 60 to 80 lane (and
stayed closer to 60).  Yes - I was in a LM vert and it had all the dampers
in place.  Can't imagine (don't want to) how much worse that ride may have
been without them.

Finally (then I'll shut up on this), the '65 CA vert I picked up almost 2
yrs ago came without the rear ones.  BTW....  this is a REALLy good sign the
car has taken a hit in the rear.  Anyway, I installed the rear ones once I
got the car home.  I cannot say there was any difference in handling on an
essentially straight line trip.  There might be in an autocross?

Later, JR

CCE and CORSA member
'61 Rampside Standard 4/110
'65 Monza Convertible 4/140
'66 beater Coupe "icemobile" 4/140 (50%)