<VV> Convertible damper canisters

Chris & Bill Strickland lechevrier at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 5 03:01:08 EST 2007

'Cowl Shake', of some sort, is a problem in nearly all open cars
(especially so in roadster style hot rods)  -- other than the hotrods,
my personal experience is in my 356 hard top cabriolet, ie a convertible
with a factory hardtop -- on a road trip, it is a completely different
automobile with the hard top removed. So I expect some bright boy
engineer at GM decided to attack the problem before it happened,
possibly thinking of our friend Ralphie,  and designed the shakers with
this in mind (before they had computer enhanced vibration analysis). I
have no idea how successful the design was, as there are numerous
reports of folks that have removed them without complaint.  Had the
original design been better, I would expect one could notice a
difference.  I drove a late model vert (66 Corsa 140) without the
shakers briefly in my 'earlier years' and never felt I was missing
anything except the top ...

would be nice to uncover the original engineering papers for the
vibration analysis that lead to the shakers, but I expect that if it
hasn't surfaced by now, it is long gone. remember, vibration/resonance
science was in the dark ages until just recently -- note all the recent
earthquake upgrading to bridges and buildings -- and, of course, to
return to an automotive theme, there was 'Galloping Gertie' ...
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/bridge/meetsusp.html

Bill S