Convert an afterthought, was: <VV> Convertible damper canisters

airvair airvair at richnet.net
Mon Feb 5 18:00:15 EST 2007

>From the evidence I've seen as how the LM convertible is designed and
built, as opposed to the coupe/4door, I firmly believe that it was
really almost an afterthought. Consider these: Item 1) ever have the
chrome windshield header off a car? It looks as if someone had taken a
coupe and TORCHED, yes torched, the top off. Definately NOT up to GM's
usual standard of building dies specifically to neatly trim off any
unwanted metal. Item 2) the kick vent covers on a coupe/4door are
one-piece, as opposed to the convert's two-piece design. Had GM REALLY
thought ahead, they would have also been a two-piece design, thus
allowing GM to use the vent stack in ALL LM Corvairs. This would have
created no additional molds or other expense, yet they would have saved
money by the 55-gallon drum just in gray, slimy body putty for which the
coupe/4door kick panels are notorious for using. Not to mention the line
assembly time would have been dramatically improved.

What's really surprising is that no one (to my knowledge) ever put in a
material savings suggestion about item 2. Had I been there, I certainly
would have. Probably would have gotten the max award, too. Would have
been interesting to know the real story here..... Was the convert really
an afterthought or not? If not, why these anonomolies, so
uncharacteristic of GM?

-Mark