re <VV> Convertible damper canisters

Borrrris at aol.com Borrrris at aol.com
Mon Feb 5 20:30:44 EST 2007

In a message dated 2/5/2007 6:28:37 PM Eastern Standard Time, jld at wk.net
writes:

Think of  the late model convertible body dampers as shock absorbers
for the  body.  The body has little torsional stiffness and has a
resonance  frequency of around 10/11 hz.

 Based not at all on engineering knowledge, but on experience  with other GM
products, it seems to me that GM must have felt they  were necessary or they
wouldn't have been there on '68 and  '69s.
 I have read numerous times that by then, Chevy management was  actively
seeking ways to reduce the cost of any and all corvair  components.  I also know
that it is GM's SOP as a car reaches the end  of it production cycle to
de-content it madly - NHV be damned.
I conclude that only fear of something bad happening if they  stopped
installing them at that point would have kept them there to the end.
  Matt from L.I. ('66 Monza coupe  110/PG)