<VV> Frame under Body Swaps

Smitty Smith vairologist at verizon.net
Mon Feb 5 23:05:29 EST 2007

    I'm in the process of rebuilding my '64 Convertable for my son. Being a concerned parent, I would like for the car to have power brakes, easy access to parts for motor and trans, a/c, heat and power steering while trying to retain the classic looks of the car. We have looked at different options including a bigger Corvair engine or maybe a Honda or Subaru engine, but always end up back at the "g-body" frame swap. Plans are to try and use the floor and firewall from the g-body as well,
  Smitty Says:  Please don't take this as an official position of the forum.  If you want to get mad at someone, make it me.               What you are suggesting is a headache just in concept.  Do you feel a need for self abuse?  The biggest Corvair engine is the same size as a 64  95 hp.  The factory Early brakes are certainly adaquate for anything but racing in the car.  Power brakes can be put on but they won't stop the car any faster.  To suggest power steering makes me know you have never driven a Corvair before.  The steering can be improved with a slightly faster ratio but otherwise it is fine.  Hondas and Subarus use radiators which means at best you will give up half the trunk space.  A Corvair heater in good condition will put out all the heat you will ever need.  A/C kits are available in a couple of different forms.  As a concerned parent you might consider a newer car with an airbag.