<VV> Re: Frame Under / Body Swaps

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Tue Feb 6 12:08:45 EST 2007

At 07:17 PM 2/5/2007, Wayno wrote:
>I'm new to this Virtualvairs type of group "mailing list", so I hope
>I am sending this to the right place.
>  I'm in the process of rebuilding my '64 Convertable for my
> son.  Being a concerned parent, I would like for the car to have power brakes,

Why?   The early 'Vair brakes are fine for just about everything
as-is, never felt the need for a "softer" pedal that a power booster
would provide.    The tires will stop the car only as much as their
grip on the pavement...  and power brakes won't make the stopping
distance any shorter seeing as how the stock brake system will easily
lock up all four wheels.

>easy access to parts for motor and trans, a/c, heat

All these are available in an early 'Vair.   Even heat, if the heater
is put back into the shape it's supposed to be in (not the shape it
ends up after 40+ years).

>and power steering

Unnecessary in a Corvair under any circumstance.   I can steer my
daily driver around corners with one finger spinning the steering
wheel.    ...make sure you have the *right* tire pressures in the
fronts...  that's the *right* pressure, not the original factory
"recommended" pressure.

>while trying to retain the classic looks of the car.  We have looked
>at different options including a bigger Corvair engine

Even a 95hp engine in a '64 ragtop will yank the car around with a
vengeance especially if it has 3.55 gears in back.    Wanna get
trickier, use a 140 Powerglide variant engine.   They make very nice
"around town" engines in Corvairs.

>or maybe a Honda or Subaru engine,

Now you're getting into some serious work, lots of mods.

>but always end up back at the "g-body" frame swap.

Forget what I just said... NOW you're talking about an *Extreme*
amount of work.    Do you have facilities which include a
rotisserie?   How's the welding skills?

>Plans are to try and use the floor and firewall from the g-body as
>well,  Just hoping for some pointers from anyone that has done this
>in hopes to save a few headaches along the way.

It's possible, seen one or two earlies along the way done like
this.    But the project is gonna turn out to be a labor of love and
it's not gonna be easy.

However, if you have the skills and the facilities, go for it.

tony..