<VV> Electric Fuel Pump...

CorvairEd at aol.com CorvairEd at aol.com
Wed Feb 7 21:06:44 EST 2007

In a message dated 2/7/2007 2:25:40 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
rusecular at yahoo.com writes:

I'm  trying to install an electric fuel pump on my 1960 Monza
[w/140 HP]  - I would be grateful for any recommendations on:

Tony,
I have an electric fuel pumps installed on two of my Corvairs.  One is  on my
61 Rampside and the other on my 65 CORSA w/140.  On my Rampside I use  a fuel
pump I bought at the local FLAPS which is a 4 to 5.5 lbs output @ 30  GPH.
On my CORSA I use one from The Source and is part# EP10S.  It  has an output of
4 to 5.5psi @ 29 to 33GPH.  I don't use an auto cut-out  switch but rather
prefer a manual switch mounted on the bracket that holds the  steering column
and is out of sight if you don't know if it is there.  It's  good for safety and
also as a theft proof device.  With it turned off there  is just enough fuel
in the carbs to go about 200 yards before the engine  quite's.  Car thieves
don't want to be caught out in the street with a dead  engine where they may
attract the attention of the police.  I wire the pump  to a terminal on the fuse
block that is hot when the ignition switch is on and  cold when the switch is
off.  I recommend the pump be mounted behind the  fuel tank on the cross
member where it will be protected from damage if you run  over something.  Install
a filter in the line before the pump to protect it  from any contaminants from
the fuel tank.  The reason I mount it at the  tank is because the pump pushes
fuel much better than it can pull it.For those  who think that electric fuel
pumps may not be reliable, consider that all cars  now have them and they have
very few failures.

Ed Corson  (CORSA member)
Inland Empire Corvair Club