<VV> Reading the dang manual ...

Charles Lee at Proper Pro Per chaz at ProperProPer.com
Thu Feb 8 00:38:59 EST 2007

This is a good point, reading the manual and all ... Wish I had thought of
that ...

I think I may have fallen victim to a high ph level in my coolant causing
the head gasket to blow.

The ZX-2 that  I mentioned a few threads back (re eBay) went from 80+ mph,
running beautifully (like it had for 130,000 miles before that (with zero
repairs, except timing belt) died in a bout 10 seconds, without a groan.
Just coasted to a stop, dead.

One diagnosis was the coolant, and apparently somewhere in the manual (I
haven't found it yet) it says to change the water ?
What ?  Who in the world would change that ?  Oil OK, but water ?

Apparently, the ph corrodes the gasket, which starts thing boiling (this
confounded thing uses water to cool it !)
Can you believe that ? Water ? Why ?  Air is free, and you don't have to
change it (do you ?)

Here's another thing I heard about this : the water temp gauge actually
measures the temperature of the water.
OK, that seems reasonable, until you think, "Hey, what if the water leaks
out ?  Then what ?  There's no water to measure its temp, right ?"
Well, what I have heard is that that is the reason my temp gauge did not
register "hot" - because when the water decides to be somewhere else, the
temp sensor has nothing to measure and doesn't say "hot" - it just says
"all's well."

Is this true ?

Wouldn't it make more sense to measure the temp of the head ?
Anyone know if this is true ?

I need to get a shop manual for this thing to find out the truth.

Later,
Chaz