<VV> Electric Fuel Pump

themoose at bellsouth.net themoose at bellsouth.net
Thu Feb 8 08:46:11 EST 2007

"That's when you...turn off the key!! The same thing applies to EFI motors they have elec fuel pumps."
 Zane Brock, Atlanta, GA

I actually have experience with this topic and in regards to Zane's comment.

I had put an electric fuel pump in my 65 Monza. There was no fuel pump shut off switch (Oil pressure or motion) as is recommended by pretty much everyone - shame on me. :)

I was preparing to turn left into a Target store one evening, when a gentleman from Oklahoma slid his rental car into the back of the Jaguar XJ waiting patiently behind me.  Bumper cars ensued and the Jaguar fired into the back of my Corvair - rocketing me about 30 feet forward, crushing the back end into the oil filter and back of the engine.

Turn the key off you say? - Well, the impact shot my car forward, and my ignition keys didn't really study inertia so they ended up hidden under the back seat.  Funny how you can take the keys out of a 1960's vehicle while it's switched on...

I was able to find my keys, turn the car off within about 30-45 seconds...as oil pumped out of my running car.  She was a great Corvair - one I miss everyday until I get into my "new" Corvair... :)

Mike "Moose"
Also from Atlanta, GA