<VV> Electric Fuel Pump...

Brandes, Guy GBrandes at loebermotors.com
Thu Feb 8 09:46:38 EST 2007

Hi Tony,

I have a number of old pumps I'd like to rebuild and a source for the
diaphragm material has been by down fall, do you have the source
information for that material?  A square foot would probably last a life
time (at least mine).  Thanks,

Regards,

Guy Brandes

I solved all my fuel pump issues by finding out how the pumps really
work, picked up a couple of spares along the way and stashed them in
the closet, then checked out the "old" pumps on the cars by simply
popping the tops off and checking the rubber for cracks or other
signs of pending failure.

It's been almost a decade since I've needed to replace a failed pump,
and THAT one was one of the "bogus" pumps which were still floating
around that had been installed on a recently purchased 'Vair.

Last time I needed a fuel pump it was for an engine that had been
assembled and had no pump to start with.    I put a used pump on
it...  still working just fine.    All the 'Vairs here have
mechanical pumps and none leak and all work.    They're not hard to
check out if you get curious and wanna know what shape the pump is
really in.   Disconnect the fuel lines and then it's just 6 screws
and the pump comes apart.   You can do it with the pump mounted on
the car.   In fact, it's easier if the pump is mounted.

Besides, I bought a bunch of fuel pump stuff from pump-guru John
Moody and the next time (whenever that might eventually happen) a
fuel pump misbehaves I'll just rebuild it and go on down the
road.    I also have a source for new diaphragm material locally...
chemical and solvent resistant with synthetic fiber reinforcement,
used in commercial chemical solvent pumps, made to order for fuel
pumps since it's resistant to just about everything and has a 100%
duty cycle at its full ratings.   It's 30 bucks for a square foot but
how many pumps can a square foot of material rebuild?   Anyway...
since I've had this stuff I've not needed to rebuild any pumps so all
this has proven to be pretty much moot so far.