<VV> Crankcase level rising

Roger Gault r.gault at sbcglobal.net
Sat Feb 10 12:52:33 EST 2007

The other thing that can cause this symptom is parking on a steep incline,
nose up.  This puts the gas tank high enough to cause gas to leak by the
float needles and run into the the intake manifold, through the open valves,
and down past the rings.  This can cause two things, depending on the phase
of the moon (or the phase of the valve train).
1)  The crankcase will fill up with gas.
2)  The engine will hydraulic lock when you try to start it because one of
the cylinders has a pool of gas in it.

This last one can cause you to panic when it goes "CLUNK" and won't turn any
more.  At that point, you may freak out and gather all the neighbors to help
you push it up your really steep driveway into the garage.  Then you can all
stand around gasping for breath speculating on what broke until everybody
gets bored and goes home.  By this time, the fuel will have drained out of
the offending cylinder and when you give it one more try it will start right
up.  Embarassing.  Wonder how I know that.

Roger