<VV> Re: VirtualVairs Digest, Vol 25, Issue 36

Ken Franson kenfran at comcast.net
Sun Feb 11 21:55:30 EST 2007

The 70 and the 80 are percentages of the tire width, the 205, 185, etc.
are width in millimeters.
A 185-80 would be 80% of 185 mm from the wheel to the outside diameter.
That's 148 mm,
or 5.83 inches Times 2 for the other side equals 11.65 inches, plus 13
inches of wheel equals
25.65 inches diameter.
A 205-70-13 would be 11.3 inches plus 13, equals 24.3 inches diameter,
so it is a smaller
diameter.
You can find a bunch of tire info at
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/tire2.htm or use the chart
at http://www.musclecarclub.com/library/tech/tires.shtml
-Ken Franson
Arkansas Corvair Club

In regards to tire size... I remember reading somewhere that when you